Updating your resume is not the most exciting task in the world, but it is super important. And I can tell you right now that if you don’t update it on a regular basis, it becomes an even bigger chore.
It may feel like a mammoth task. But how do you eat an elephant? A little bit at a time.
In this blog post, I’m going to explain why keeping your resume up-to-date is essential if you want to get ahead. And I’ll also give you some top tips on how to do it…
Why update your resume
But first, let me convince you of the importance of updating your resume. In my experience, the top reasons are:
1. Never forget your skills and achievements
As ridiculous as it may sound if you don’t write down what you’ve achieved professionally you might forget it!
I know my memory isn’t what it used to be. Can you definitively say that you recall the ins and outs of that project you ran back in 2016? What about the results it got?
But you know what’s the additional benefit of recalling your achievements on a regular basis? The morale boost. Remembering your past professional projects and the skills you honed during that time makes you feel good and reminds you of how capable you are.
It can also help to focus the mind and highlight what you excel at and what you enjoy. This could lead to you being more able to spot the right opportunity when it comes along. And ultimately get ahead.
2. Always available for an opportunity
When opportunity knocks, you want to be ready. And opportunities have so many guises. You don’t need to be seeking work actively to get an opportunity. There could be an internal promotion. Perhaps you’re head hunted, or you meet someone at a networking event.
Whatever form opportunity takes, if your resume is up-to-date, not only are you more likely to recall the great stuff you’ve done during a spontaneous meeting, but it also reduces the stress of having to pull together a resume at the last minute.
How to update a resume
Ok, now you’re on board with why we can dive into how.
This post is about updating your resume. So if you’re just starting out and you haven’t created yours yet, check out this blog post first: 3 Ways To Have Your Resume Stand Out.
Once you’ve got your epic resume, you need to keep it that way. And you need to make sure the right people get to see it. Here are a few simple things you can do to keep your professional profile up-to-date:
- Keep your LinkedIn and paper versions the same
- This is important for the consistency of your personal brand. (Yes, you have a personal brand! It’s your own unique way of being professionally awesome.)
- It ensures that people trust what you’re telling them when the information is consistent.
- Click the button in LinkedIn that tells recruiters “you’re available”
- This is a super easy and instant way of updating your status if you’re actively looking for work – it’s like a signal to recruiters that they can view your profile and contact you.
- And it’s a motivating reminder to you to review your digital profile and ensure it’s got all the latest information!
- Create a profile on SEEK.com and upload your most up-to-date resume
I recommend reviewing and updating your paper resume once every 6 months or so. You can set a reminder in your calendar if you think you’ll forget. For your digital resume, and to keep on top of your key skills and achievements, I suggest more regular updates; once a quarter is ideal.
Don’t forget, a killer resume’s best friend is a knockout cover letter. Before you tackle yours, make sure you read this: Tips For Writing An Epic Cover Letter.
I hope you’re feeling more excited about updating your resume now! Stay tuned on the blog for more tips on how to supercharge your career and get ahead.